Muharram, the first month of the Islamic calendar, is designated for Allah. In this month, it’s a duty of every Muslim to be aware of faults and sins.
Abu Qatada (Radiyallahu ‘anh) relates that the Holy Prophet (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) said that the fast on the 10th of Muharram atones for the sins of the preceding year. [Sahih Muslim]
Significant and Remarkable Events which occurred in Holy Month Muharam:
With the exception of the Martyrdom of Sayyiduna Imam-e-Hussain (radi Allahu anhu) there are also various other incidents which occurred on Yaum-e-Ashurah.
Muharram ul Harram is also one of the most precious month because of the following reasons:-
- It was on this day that the Skies earth and the Lauw-e-Qalam came into existence.
- It was on this day that Hazrat Adam (Alaihis Salaam) and Hazrat Hawa were created.
- Hazrat Adam (Alaihis Salaam) was exonerating on his mistake on the 10th of Muharram.
- Hazrat Nooh (Alaihis Salaam) boat stroked from the mountain on the 10th of Muharram.
- Hazrat Moosa (Alaihis Salaam) descended Ferron and his army on the 10th of Muharram.
- Hazrat Yaqub (Alaihis Salaam) met Hazrat Yusuf (alaihis salaam) after 40 years.
- Hazrat Easa (Alaihis Salaam) was born on the 10th of Muharram.
- Hazrat Esa (Alaihis Salaam) was raised into the skies.
- Hazrat Yunus (Alaihis Salaam) came out from the stomach of Whale on the 10th of Muharram.
- Hazrat Dawud’s (Alaihis Salaam) Tauba was accepted.
- Hazrat Imam Hussein (Razi Allah Unho) was martyred on the 10th of Muharram.
- And Hazrat Tajuddin Aulia (Razi Allah Unho) took veil from this materialistic world on the 26th of Muharram.
Special Prayers and Fasting in this Holy Month:
The Holy Qur’an must be recited daily. Mostly the Wirde (Continuous reciting, Errand) of Istagfar (Deprecation) must be done. Surrat ul Fathia, Ikhlas, Reham and Yasin must be recited. Usually, Daruud Sharif must be Wirde (Continuous reciting, Errand). Extra Nawafil must be prayed for the Raza (contented) of Allah Almighty.
The Holy Prophet Muhammad Holy Prophet (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) stated, “That person who performs four rakaats of Namaaz on the day of Ashurah in this way, that he reads the entire Sura Ikhlaas (Qulhuwal laa) 11 times after Sura Fatiha in every rakaat, then Almighty Allah will forgive fifty years of his sins, and he will blessed with a Mimbar (pulpit) of Noor.” (Nuzhatul Majalis, Vol.1, Pg. 181)
The Holy Prophet (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) used to even fast on this day and also command others to fast on this day. Jews used to respect the day of Ashura and they also rejoiced on this day.
Hazrat Ibn Abbas (Radiyallahu ‘anh) reports that the Holy Prophet (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) arrived in Madinah and found the Jews observing fast on the day of ‘Ashura… They said: “It is the day of great (significance) when Allah delivered Hazrat Musa (‘Alaihis-Salaam) and his people and drowned Pharoah and his people, and Sayyidina Musa (‘Alaihis-Salaam) observed fast out of gratitude. And we also observe it.”
The Holy Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) responded: “We have more right, and we have closer connection with Sayyidina Musa (‘Alaihis-Salaam) than you have”; so Allah’s Messenger (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam) observed fast (on the day of ‘Ashura) and gave us orders to observe it. [Sahih Bukhari and Muslim]